"Women Won't Wait" is an international coalition of organizations and networks working to promote women's health and human rights in the struggle to address HIV and AIDS and end all forms of violence against women and girls.
"Women Won't Wait" seeks to speed up effective responses to the linkages of violence against all women and girls and the spread of HIV.
The campaign's vision is to ensure:
- That women's and girls' human rights are respected, protected and fulfilled;
- That women's and girls' vulnerability to HIV&AIDS are reduced;
- That there is an emphasis on building gender equality and women's empowerment in responses to HIV&AIDS and violence against women and girls;
- That violence against women infected and affected by HIV&AIDS are addressed; and
- That there is greater public attention and political will to address gender-based violence.
The campaign strives to achieve this vision through the following objectives:
- To formulate and improve policies, programmes, advocacy and services that better integrate HIV&AIDS and VAW/G;
- To increase the level of resources (funding and human) committed by governments, donors, multilateral institutions and civil society (including NGOs) to addressing violence against women and girls, in and of itself, and as part of the response to HIV&AIDS;
- To improve the legal framework (laws and policies) to better address, prevent and combat/contest/challenge violence against women and girls and allocate appropriate resources and services to support women's and girls' empowerment.
- To build mutual accountability among women's rights, sexual and reproductive health/rights, human rights and HIV groups to each other.